Monday, November 06, 2006


As part of the Next Generation ILS Core Values subgroup I am supposed to facilitate the discussion of the "Core Values" part of the ILS vision.
I have to say that the phrase "core values" is somewhat obtuse, in my opinion, but that is what we have to work with. So let's start the discussion with a definition of core values. Shall we define "core value to mean, "the most important service elements of an Integrated Library System?" What do you two think? Should it be something different?
Also, in the SAALCK charge given us the particular items listed as "Core Values" are the following:

  • Connectivity
  • Reliability
  • Capacity
  • Performance
  • Security
  • Access

While I have no objection to including these criteria in a list of "core values" of an ILS, these seem to me to be core values of any computer server service. There is nothing wrong with that, but seems to me there are even more important things specific to an ILS. I think some core values that ought to be listed include:

  • Usability
  • Customizable (is that a word?)
  • Facilitates access to information
  • Enhances research
  • Assists education
  • Appealing (Pleasing to use?)

Are there other core values that you think an ILS ought to have?

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Idun said...

I agree with your definition:
"the most important service elements of an Integrated Library System"
because I'm not really sure, public services person that I am, that I could speak to much else.

At the heart of the issue is what do patrons want? This sounds simple enough but we may struggle with this question since we are not your typical patrons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home